Secret Origin: The Story of Dc Comics DVD Review

Secret Origin: The Story of Dc Comics DVD Review


Synopsis: Behind the amazing tales of legendary super heroes is the equally amazing story of the company that told them. So many heroes, so many stories to tell--stories of DC Comics' 75 years of challenges, creativity and triumph. This DC Comics Original Documentary is both a compelling insider's tale and a celebration seen through the inkwell of those who created and lived it, balanced with insights from key historians and filled with interviews, archival footage and a dazzling parade of riveting and splashy DC covers. From the bans to the breakthroughs, from humble pulp beginnings to the literary rise of the graphic novel, the story holds a mirror to an ever-evolving enterprise and the society reflected in its comic book pages. It's an American story.

Review: When I first got the Secret Origin DVD in my hands I knew that I would enjoy it.  After all, I’m a huge comic book geek and I love documentaries.  Win-win, right?  What I expected was a very nerdy and sometimes self-indulgent look into how amazing Dc Comics is.  What I actually got was a very well-produced and relevant documentary about the origins of the industry and the influence and ramifications of the characters and the industry on American culture.   I have to admit, I’m rather blown away by it.  I’ve watched it twice already and I’ll probably pop it in again soon.

Ryan Reynolds, who has primarily done Marvel-themed comic book movies (Wolverine and Blade), is starring as Hal Jordan in the Green Lantern feature film next year.  His narration of the documentary is very serious and straight forward.  He gives a great credibility to the piece and I definitely enjoyed it more knowing he was doing the job.

If you’re a fan of comic books at all, you need to see this documentary.  You can actually watch this with non-comic book geeks and they’ll enjoy it.  Its well-made and very interesting with a lot of dimensions.  We highly, highly recommend this one.

Links: www.legionsofgotham.org

Interest Range: Dc Comics, Documentary

 

DVDLEGION.COM Copyright © 2009-2013 The Legion Fan Network. DVD Legion is your home for DVD Reviews, Blu-Ray Reviews, DVD News and Blu-Ray News.
Visit the other sites in our network Legions of Gotham, Toy Legion, Ghostbusters Collector and Toy Story/Pixar Collector