Daria: The Complete Series DVD Review

Daria: The Complete Series DVD Review 



Synopsis: The people of Lawndale just don't get Daria Morgendorffer. She's cool with that. See, Daria was born alienated, and now she's just trying to make it through high school with as little human contact as possible. Popularity, friends, activities... whatever. Daria lacks enthusiasm, but she makes up for it with sarcasm. Includes all five seasons plus both movies!

Review: Finally!  MTV has released the 8-disc set of the complete Daria animated series, along with the two tv movies that were made.  Daria premiered back in 1997, when I was finishing up my senior year of high school.  It was one of the best years of my life, as I had just met my future wife.  We spent the next few years curled up inside watching Daria whenever possible.  The show managed to skillfully mock everything from high-school life to popular culture and music trends.  Daria's disdain for society was something that was not only amusing, it was completely relevant and relatable.

When I heard that Daria was getting the full series DVD treatment I was excited, but apprehensive.  I hadn't seen the show in many years, and I know from sad experience after sad experience that older shows, especially animation, don't always hold-up.   I am pleased to announce that not only does the show hold-up, but its still just fantastic.  My wife and I popped in the first disc and ended up with a multi-day marathon!   The characters are all still wonderfully vapid and I laughed the entire time.  The only thing of note with this set is that the pop-culture songs of the time have all been replaced, as the rights to put them on the DVD would've been too costly.  It doesn't hurt the show really the way that would affect say Beavis and Butthead with their music video critiques.

Now, if only Beavis and Butthead could get a decent DVD series release, the 90s would finally get their due.  C'mon MTV!  Take a break from those Jersey Shore idiots and give us old schoolers what we want!

Rating: MTV Generation, Animation Fans, Beavis and Butthead Fans, Daria Fans

 

DVDLEGION.COM Copyright © 2009-2013 The Legion Fan Network. DVD Legion is your home for DVD Reviews, Blu-Ray Reviews, DVD News and Blu-Ray News.
Visit the other sites in our network Legions of Gotham, Toy Legion, Ghostbusters Collector and Toy Story/Pixar Collector