The Neverending Story Blu-Ray Review

The Neverending Story Blu-Ray Review


Synopsis: Relive the flight of pure fantasy that’s The NeverEnding Story now in spectacular Blu-ray. Based on the best-selling novel by Michael Ende and directed by Wolfgang Peterson (Troy, The Perfect Storm), The NeverEnding Story is as enjoyable for adults as it is for children with its tale of a young daydreamer who, drawn into a timeless and wondrous world of fantastic beings through the pages of a mysterious book, discovers how his imagination and belief can save it from destruction. The film’s Blu-ray debut will further intensify the visually stunning inventive special effects and the colorful characters of Fantasia like never before. Director Wolfgang Peterson’s first English language film, Roger Ebert called The NeverEnding Story “a real delight!”

Review: The Neverending Story freaked me out as a kid.  I'm not gonna lie, it really did.  I don't even know why when I watch it now.  Maybe it was the idea of being locked in the basement of my school during a thunderstorm.  Maybe it was the weird flying dog-creature or the sneezing turtle.  I know the wolf-creatures with the red glowing eyes weirded me out.  I saw this movie when I was pretty little..about five I believe.  I decided it was time to brave the waters again, since I'm 30. 

What happened?  This movie wasn't hardly freaky at all.  Certainly not worse than Labyrinth or Dark Crystal, and I loved both of those fantasy flicks.  The story is solid and the acting isn't too awfully bad.  I really enjoyed the puppeteering, and I wish we saw more of that in modern day film.

How does the blu-ray transfer look?  Its fantastic.  I was pretty skeptical that it would look decent, especially after seeing more recent vintage releases like Ghostbusters or Clash of the Titans, but the transfer to high-definition came out very well.  I mean the colors don't exactly pop off the screen, but the palet for this film was pretty dim to begin with.  Overall, this is a great release and definately one we'll keep in our library.

Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

Links: www.warnerblu.com

 

DVDLEGION.COM Copyright © 2009-2013 The Legion Fan Network. DVD Legion is your home for DVD Reviews, Blu-Ray Reviews, DVD News and Blu-Ray News.
Visit the other sites in our network Legions of Gotham, Toy Legion, Ghostbusters Collector and Toy Story/Pixar Collector